Magazine & Newspaper Articles for General Research
- InfoTrac A collection of magazine articles. Most articles are available to read online but some only provide citation information.
- ProQuest A collection of newspaper articles searchable by keyword, newspaper or date.
- FirstSearch Connect to information in a wide range of subjects in 13 databases.
- EbscoHost A collection of articles from scholarly magazines and journals. Most articles are available to read online but some only provide citation information.
- ELM (Electronic Library for Minnesota) Portal Articles, images, videos and more.
- Biography Resource Center A collection of biographical information on more than 165,000 people from throughout history and around the world.
- SELCO Catalog Search Albert Lea Public Library’s collection and those other members of our region.
- MNLINK Find books by searching participating libraries across the state of Minnesota. Many of these are available through Interlibrary Loan.
- OCLC First Search Online Computer Library Center where information about older or out of prints books can be found. May not be available through Interlibrary Loan.
- Minnesota Ebooks Dozens of librarians contributed valuable input throughout the 2014 Explore eBooks MN project. Taking to heart the primary interests identified by participants in the ebook summit, State Library Services and Minitex partnered to build a statewide ebook collection that complements the resources already available through most Minnesota libraries. Ebooks Minnesota is now available for you to explore.
- HealthFinder.gov is the US Dept. of Health and Human Resources guide to health information.
- Mayo Clinic Resources Staff at the Mayo Clinic provide a wide variety of health information including information on diseases, treatments and specific drugs.
- MedLinePlus The National Library of Medicine provides a wide variety of health information. Includes an online medical dictionary and encyclopedia.
- MerckSource offers a wide variety of core health tools and resources put together by Merck & Co., Inc., publisher of The Merck Medical Manual. Free registration allows you to create a page of frequently viewed information.
- Lawchek offers access to legal forms, Q & A, glossaries, tax forms and pre-drafted letters, an attorney locator tool and the ability to search U.S. Codes, U.S. Supreme Court Cases, and U.S. Federal Circuit Court Cases.
- LawHelpMN General information on a wide variety of legal issues provided by the Minnesota Legal Services Coalition, Probono.net, the Minnesota State Bar Association and the Legal Services Corporation. LawInfo.org Information on topics that affect your daily life prepared by the American Bar Association written for the general public.
- Legal Stuff: Practical Information for Minnesotans (PDF File)
- Minnesota State Bar Association Lawyer Referral System A program which provides the name(s) of lawyers who practice a particular type of law in the county chosen by a member of the public.
- Minnesota Administrative Rules
- United States Federal Government – General
- United States Federal Government – Contact Information for Elected Officials
- United States Census Provides information mostly from the 2000 U. S. census.
- Minnesota State Government
- Iowa State Government
- Wisconsin State Government
- Minnesota State Pollfinder
- IRS Home Internal Revenue Service website provides tax forms, booklets and information for completing federal taxes.
- Minnesota Department of Revenue
- Iowa Department of Revenue
- Wisconsin Department of Revenue
Telephone-Address Directories, Zips Codes
- Area Code Locations
- The Ultimate White Pages Search
- Yellow Pages Search multiple collections of online phone books for business phone numbers and address.
- Dex Pages Search Dex Book with reverse lookup by phone number.
- United States Postal Service Zip Code Finder Search for 5 or 9 digit zip codes for a town or specific address.