Download an eBook or audiobook in seconds 24 hours a day with OverDrive. New releases added regularly and the collection is always growing. You can even place holds on items that you want to read or listen to next.
Libby (Preferred App for OverDrive)
- Readers are one tap away from the library, their bookshelf and their next great read
- Download ebooks and audiobooks for offline reading, or stream them to save space
- Sign in to multiple libraries, with one or more cards for each library
- Kindle® users can send library ebooks to their device. (U.S. only)
- Libby remembers a reader’s place in a book as well as what notes and bookmarks that were created across all devices, allowing for a synced reading experience
- Keeps track of reading history in the activity tab
For more information and to preview the app, visit https://meet.libbyapp.com/
4 Commonly Asked Questions:
How do I return a book early?
For speed readers/listeners, who tend to finish books prior to when the book is due, there is an option to return the book when you actually finish the book. Here’s how:
- Tap “Shelf”
- Tap on the title you want to return
- Tap “Return Title to Library”
- Then Tap “Return”
Note: If you’ve download a title to the OverDrive App (mobile or desktop), to Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) or as a Kindle Book, you won’t be able to return it from Libby. However, you can return it from the application you use to download the title (OverDrive app or ADE) or from Amazon (if you downloaded it as a Kindle Book).
How do I see my place in line for a hold?
If you’ve downloaded a title to the OverDrive app (mobile or desktop), to Adobe Digital Editions (ADE), or as a Kindle Book, you won’t be able to return it from Libby. However, you can return it from the application you used to download the title (the OverDrive app or ADE) or from Amazon (if you downloaded it as a Kindle Book).*
After you place a hold, you can view your place in line by going to Shelf > Holds, then tapping Wait List next to the book in question. You’ll see:
- Your approximate wait time for the title
- Total holds for the title (and your progress in line)
- Total # of copies available at your library
- The number of people waiting per copy
How can I view my book progress?
You can see your total book progress by tapping the center of the reader. In the bottom-right corner, you’ll see your current page number out of the total in the book. If you tap the page number label once, Libby will reveal how many pages are left in the current chapter. Tap the label again to show your total book progress as a percentage.
In the audiobook player, the total time left in the audiobook is displayed in the lower right hand corner of Libby by default. By tapping the “Time Left label” (above the timeline) you can cycle through different time displays: total time elapsed in the audiobook, time left in current chapter, and total progress as a percentage.
How can I change the text of a book?
Font, text size, and spacing are all adjustable in Libby. Each of these settings can be adjusted to your personal reading preference. Once you open a book, click on the menu icon in the upper-right-hand corner, and then tap Reading Settings. From there, you can adjust settings like text scale (or size), lighting, and book design. Below is an overview of these features:
Text Scale: Adjusted by using the scale. Slide to the left to decrease the text size, or slide to the right to increase the text size.
Lighting: There are three lighting options – bright (good for daytime reading), sepia (similar to a paperback), and dark (good for nighttime reading).
Book Design: Libby offers six pre-selected options for font & page design:
- Publisher’s Default
- OpenDyslexic (This book design uses the OpenDeslexic font to increase the readability of text for readers with dyslexia. Learn more at opendyslexic.com)
- Custom: This option allows you to select a font (Palatino, Georgia, Old style, Cochin, Serif, or Sans Serif.), adjust your justification (Left or justified), select a line spacing (1.0, 1.5., or 2.0), and lastly choose a weight for the text (Normal or Heavy).
Traditional OverDrive App (Legacy App):
Click on the picture to the left to search for an eBook or audiobook.
Questions about the new version of OverDrive?
View this video to get started:
If you have more questions, visit the OverDrive Help Page or SELCO OverDrive Help Page. The OverDrive Help Pages can help you with questions about downloading how-tos, device trouble-shooting and more.
As always, library staff is happy to answer any questions you may have about using OverDrive and accessing the eBook and audiobook collection.